Monday 28 October 2013

Image overload

Dress by Basia Zarzycka click on photo to visit her website
Do you get image overload? When you've looked at so many pictures that your brain ceases to register them properly. Whether looking at Pinterest or going round a big show like the Knitting and Stitching show, after a while you realise that you're not giving what you're seeing your full attention. You feel a bit dazed because you've seen so much. 

When it comes to designing and making things I think the best ideas are the ones that pop into your head in the moments between sleeping and waking. Often such simple ideas that you think, Why haven't I thought of that before? Then you have to make yourself grab a pencil and paper before the idea drifts off again like vapour, never to be remembered again!

I enjoy looking at pictures like I enjoy looking at Vogue magazine. But I think looking and doing are miles and miles apart. I look to put off the doing ie the making and actually I'm realising that looking is not useful. I've seen enough for my brain to sort through anything meaningful and to sieve the occasional gold nugget to show me in those precious moments between sleeping and waking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the middle of the night/first thing in the morning brainwave. Bizarre isn't it!! I guess it's having a more refreshed mind and calmness in which to think properly.

Actually I'm just working on one of my lightbulb moments now!!

Vicki

jenny said...

Great! Look forward to seeing what you're up to. (Vicki paints the wonderful bird pictures in HH)

queenofcuffs said...

never a truer word - I 'look' too much. I overload and send myself in too many directions! Sometimes I make myself go 'cold turkey' from looking at creative images - but it's hard to stop looking !!!