Tuesday 30 April 2013

Aspex Gallery and Gun Wharf Quays outlet shops, Portsmouth

Inside the Aspex Gallery cafe
A weird amount of empty space
The Spinacker Tower
Paperchase window
Crabtree and Evelyn window
Osprey window
So yesterday I went to Portsmouth, not London. I explored the Arts Council sponsored Aspex Gallery first then the many outlet shops.
The Aspex Gallery is tucked away in the enormous space pictured above. Two exhibitions are currently showing: Charlie Tweed's video works called 'I am Algorithm' and Susanna Bauer's crochet on leaves. There is also a shop area and cafe. From May 8th for a month there will be an exhibition 'helping us answer the question: Where does Progress end?' I look forward to it. If you want to submit your work to this gallery check out www.aspex.org.uk

I was amazed at the number of outlet shops here. Luxury shops like Links, Ralph Lauren, Osprey (pictured) and All Saints. Plus Marks and Spencer, Gap, White Stuff, Paperchase and Crabtree and Evelyn.  Then oh heaven, a Lindt outlet shop. Did you know that such a thing existed? No me neither. 

I had a good look round. Some shops are half outlet prices, half ordinary prices. If you're a fan of White Stuff clothes head for Gun Wharf quays. They have a fantastic range of quality clothes. Unlike some other clothes shops there which just seem to offer weird colours that obviously hadn't sold in their main shops.

So what did I buy? Vellum paper - 99p at The Works and their card bunting to paint £1-49; also 'Perfectly Fitted' a dressmaking book by Lynne Garner £2-99 also from The Works. Ok, confession time, a few wrapped chocolates from the Lindt pick and mix. Are you reading this daughters? If so I will be in big trouble!!

No comments: