Monday 15 July 2013

Standen, East Grinstead

The drawing room as it would have been in 1920. All fabric designs by William Morris.
The front door to Standen, built in 1894 and now owned by the National Trust
The kitchen range
Portrait of a member of the household against the dark fir green walls of the dining-room
The ornate fireplace in the dining room with shelves to warm the plates.
I remember a clock like this at my grandmother's. Note the William Morris design wallpaper.
I took my mother to Standen yesterday, an interesting Arts and Crafts house just outside East Grinstead. On such a hot day the house was pleasantly cool and even outside there were mature trees giving shade.

Are you managing to stay cool in this extreme-for-Britain weather?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your days out and about!
Hazel