Monday 15 February 2021

Making art?

Tulips in Jug by Jenny Stacy. A4 size
Spring chasing Winter away, Collage by Jenny Stacy. A4 size
Tulips in Jug by Jenny Stacy. BIG.

I have a problem with the word 'art'. What is art? Is it purely a subjective reaction to someone else's efforts? Now, as I struggle to produce pictures which could be attractive in someone else's eyes I feel confused.
Looking through The Art Book which has hundreds of 'artists' works I see some I recognise, I've maybe seen them in a gallery. Some which look simple and some which I can't think of as Art at all. For example I like photographs but I don't see them as art. 

The shame is that many artists are not recognised in their lifetime at all and die in poverty. Only later do other people benefit by selling their work.  Indeed the very word artist conjures up a tortured soul determined to keep on painting even though they are earning no money through it and might be thought of as irresponsible wastrels by members of society. What drives them? What makes them different to other people?
What do you think?
Meanwhile I have a glimmer of an idea for another picture...

No comments: