Sunday 27 January 2013

Collecting buttons


Two handmade buttons here, the ceramic cat and the painted wood doll. Sorry I don't know the name of the makers.
I collect buttons. I have also sold a lot of them in Handmade Happiness. I have a jar labelled 'Art buttons' where I've kept my very favourites. A special button gives the finishing touch to a piece of clothing, a bag or sometimes an art work. 

Years ago I used to make earrings, bracelets and necklaces out of special buttons. I would prefer now to use just one as a fastening or a decoration. 
I know that enamel buttons are sometimes valuable, and I would not sell on a carved mother of pearl button, those are too special to sell. Instead of making a button hole or loop it is easier and sometimes as effective to sew a button over a popper (press stud) fastening. 

2 comments:

lindsey said...

I still have a pair of your button ear rings that I bought a few years ago at Blackmoor.

Fibre frenzi said...

Thanks for the tip about buttons and poppers. I have forgotten to make buttonholes on my baby jacket - so poppers they will be!