Monday 17 September 2012

But how do you cook them?

Collage card by jenny stacy
My neighbour has kindly given me a big round green squash from his allotment.
 I want to cook it but I don't know how. I found a recipe calling for it to be cut up and roasted in its skin with maple syrup and olive oil drizzled over. But do you know how much maple syrup costs? Nearly £6 a bottle. So I won't be doing that. I wonder if soft brown sugar could be substituted for maple syrup? I don't think I've ever eaten squash before...

Yesterday I collected new wooden boards of every size and shape from Christine Burgess's house. They are beautiful and will be for sale in Handmade Happiness from Tuesday. Today I'm talking fabrics with recently-moved-down-from-London Rosie. Then Monday wouldn't be Monday without a trip somewhere...

4 comments:

With Added Discretion said...

I don't think you need syrup. Lots of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil, tossed about to make sure it's all coated and you'll be fine. There are lots of recipes for butternut squash - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/stuffedsquash_92588 this is one of my favourites. Anna

jenny said...

Thank you Anna. I'll give it a try.

joanie said...

I often just cut them in half, deseed them, drizzle olive oil and throw in a couple of whole garlic cloves.

Also, I sometimes roast them then stuff them with a wild rice, mushroom and roasted pecan mixture then top it with goats cheese and pop it back in the oven to warm through and melt. Yum!
(Pecans are expensive too, other nuts would do.)

jenny said...

That sounds delicious Joanie.