Saturday 9 July 2011

Thoughts on Making Clothes

This picture is in Attire magazine illustrating www.onebutton.co.uk
I wish I'd been taught dress-making at school. That subject and Money Management could replace Physics and Chemistry...


To be able to cut confidently into a piece of fabric and produce a wearable garment is a talent I always admire. I remember once I complimented an unusual big print dress and the woman said she'd made it the night before taking the pattern from an old nightdress. What confidence, what style!


Yes, I've looked through the books of patterns but I see nothing I want to make. I want to make a simple cotton shift dress, round or v neck and long sleeves. I just got a book out of the library called 'Make Your Own Patterns' by Rene Bergh. It looks complicated but I must read it.


Looking at the new Vogue magazine it talks about 'the new soft line' which pays little attention to the contours of the body.
So now is the ideal time to cut into fabric and bash a dress together. Any mistakes, strange shapes, bad fit etc. I can attribute to new fashion.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: