Wednesday 14 January 2015

Handmade UK

Pam Dew's gloriously colourful quilt using Kaffe Fassett fabrics.
Looking round Handmade Happiness textiles are very well represented. I may need to balance things up with blown glass, quirky ceramics, wrought iron etc. So I need to look for these things further afield. Handmade still of course but handmade in the UK not necessarily handmade in the Petersfield area.

This week the Top Drawer trade fair incorporting 'Craft' is on in London.  I wondered whether to go and have a look but actually I can see all the exhibitors' products on their website. Has the internet made such shows unnecessary? Serious buyers need to touch and handle what's on offer but for browsers like me I can probably see what I want to see online.

I went to Top Drawer a couple of times before I had the shop and I was shocked that individual sellers demanded £500 minimum orders. I expect it's more than £500 now.

My next opportunity to view lots of craft under one roof is at Unravel at Farnham Maltings in February. A show about all things wool, oops, textiles again.
Now excuse me while I check out the websites of the people whose work I like who are exhibiting this week in London.

On Friday Christine Burgess is bringing in her latest paintings. Can you remember the seascapes pictured before Christmas on this blog? Loved them. I can't wait to see her latest work. 

No comments: