Wednesday 18 May 2016

Loving one another...

Collage card by Jenny Stacy
My mother, who died earlier this year, always said I was lucky with my friends.
Recently I have really appreciated friends. 

2016 has been a tough year so far. Not just for me, talking to other local shop keepers, it feels as if the recession is still with us. People would rather not be spending money they don't absolutely have to spend. So they buy food but they are not buying gifts, at least they are not buying gifts to anything like the extent they have bought gifts in previous years.

Friends dropping in to the shop keep me company and it's lovely to see them.
Two friends have told me they are growing flowers in their garden and allotment for my daughter's wedding. How kind and thoughtful is that? Laughing and chatting with people we get on well with is one of life's greatest pleasures.

Handmade Happiness offers an enormous range of handmade gifts (many priced at under £5) and a large selection of cards priced from just £1.95. If the shop was positioned on the High Street I really think that everyone would buy all their cards here. Nearly all cards and gifts are exclusive to Handmade Happiness and they are selected for quality as well which makes them even more special. 

I know that it's an effort to walk round to Dragon Street which is on the other side of town to Waitrose where many people park, do their food shopping and go straight home. But it's worth the walk. And you can stock up on lovely cards and gifts when you visit.

This week we are seeing what was neighbouring Wild Damson being painted pale blue and evolving into what apparently will be a painted furniture and interiors shop. I'm hoping that once the new shop opens in two weeks time an awful lot of people will be tempted to shop in Dragon Street with three interesting shops in a row to browse in.

4 comments:

Brenda Tilbury said...

It was lovely to see you today Jenny, and I'm sure busier days are just around the corner. Meanwhile, ' Let us be grateful to people who make us happy - They are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom ' Wise words from Marcel Proust, and I totally agree! X

jenny said...

Thanks for sharing that quote Brenda. I'm going to write it down in my notebook! X

lindsey said...

I was speaking to a house valuer the other day & he commented that people are holding of on spending money at the moment, until this referendum in June is done & dusted!!!!

molebags said...

So nice laughing with you yesterday, Jenny! C x