Sunday 23 June 2013

No time for making buttons today

My handmade buttons.
I am up early today to make the house ready for an important visit. The family my daughter is marrying in to is driving up from Somerset to meet me. Their son and my daughter live in London and the wedding takes place in September. 

When you think of all the times in the future we will be together - weddings, christenings (God willing), family parties etc. these are people who will hopefully become good friends of mine but right now they are strangers.

I often think of how different things are today with children travelling and choosing to live a long way from home. As my children were growing up I often wished I could chose their girl friends or boyfriends for them. And arranged marriages have a lot to recommend them! You want to protect your children from hurt. But you can't. You have to learn to let go.

Having said that I am confident Amy's chosen a good one and I am quite confident (but nervous) that I'll get on with his parents. 

3 comments:

lindsey said...

Good luck today Jenny, hope all goes well for you all. Remember that they are probably feeling the same way as you!!!

Fibre frenzi said...

Hope it goes well x

jenny said...

Thank you for your good wishes Lindsey and Alison. It did go well! They were really easy going and not at all frightening!x