Sunday 4 March 2012

Felting on the washboard


Posted by PicasaAs part of the felt making process I use an old washboard given to me by my friend Jane. 
The rough glass ridges, seen here, are ideal to rub the wet felt against to mat and shrink the wool further.
 In the picture above you can see difference. The left hand piece has had more work than the piece on the right. In a couple of days I'll post a picture of what the finished article, ready to sell, is like.
Before I had the washboard I'd just felt on the kitchen sink's metal draining area. That's fine too.
I don't seem to have as much time as I'd like for felting these days. But I'd like some felt bags for the shop - just small ones - that might spur me on to make more!


Yesterday a lady came into the shop and talked of old kimonos her mother had given her that she was thinking of making things out of. Now I don't want to encourage anyone to cut into and recycle something as beautiful as a kimono, but if a kimono is never going to be worn again, how heavenly could something made out of it look!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She really shouldn't cut the kimonos up. Some of them are quite valuable.
Hazel