Thursday 25 September 2008

Really nice people

Yesterday I had an invitation to sell my work at a nice cottage. A Christmas At Home in November with fellow designer makers. It will be lovely.



It reminded me of how I used to sell, years ago,.

Most weekends I was behind my laden trestle table in some draughty village hall willing a customer to come through the door. That was the trouble with 'craft fairs' - often people didn't come through the door. You went because you enjoyed seeing other sellers. There was that community spirit, that warmth and friendliness - people who make things are usually really nice people.


I'd like to think that some of these craftsmen and women - the lace makers, the book binders, the wood turners, the blacksmith , the wool spinners are modern day heroes. People do appreciate them. Lots of people are interested and ask questions. But trying to make a living by selling what you make with your hands is a precarious business. You just don't know how much money you are going to make from one month to the next..

No comments: